17 July 2016

Winsor's Sawmill

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

R. G. Winsor's Sawmill
Wesleyville

located - South of Mason's house & Winsor's store
Winsor's Point
Approx 1930

03 July 2016

Wesley Hall

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

The Wesley Hall
Wesleyville
(1) Built 1905-1908 (c)
(2) Used as a church (top
(3) For many years the cenral 2-room school & Community "Hall"
(4) Sold to Sainsbury family for warehouse
(5) Demolished in 2003?

Wesley Hall was not demolished in 2003, but purchased by the Bonavista North Museum & Gallery.
With some help from the community, Wesley Hall will be reopened to the public in the near future.  

http://www.historictrust.ca/media/784/pp_buildings_at_risk_2012.pdf


01 July 2016

Beamont Hamel

Private George Winsor (1897-1916)
Son of David and Annie Louisa (Wornell) Winsor of Wesleyville.
George was a member of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment Signalling Corp.
He was killed July 1,1916 at Beaumont Hamel.

Signalling Corp.: George is in the back row at the far left.

2nd Lt Frederick John Wornell (1896-1987)
Son of John Wornell and Catherine Brenton of Greenspond. He was the officer in the Signalling Corp.
Thanks to Anne Gosse for sharing these timely photos courtesy of the Carbonear Heritage Society.


19 June 2016

Aunt Jemimah & Uncle Dick


From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

Uncle Richard (Dick) & Aunt
Jemimah (Winsor) Sturge
76

12 June 2016

My 1st Teacher

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes from the back of the photograph:

(My 1st teacher)
Mrs. Harding
Maggie Roberts
Bertha Andrews
(c) 1926

05 June 2016

Wesleyville School Children

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes from the back of the photograph:
Wesleyville school children
Steps of the old church (destroyed by fire)

22 May 2016

Jesse & Phyllis Bishop

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes on the back of the original photograph:
Jesse & Phyllis Bishop
at Raleigh 1919
--Jesse fishing 
 

15 May 2016

The Anglican Church on the Hill

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G

Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:
The Front Entrance

of 

The Anglican Church on the Hill 

Wesleyville West

08 May 2016

Brookfield c.1950

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
What do you notice has changed in the 66 years since this photo was snapped?

01 May 2016

Melendys

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

Harry Melendy & wife
and son

24 April 2016

Stanley Andrews


From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes from the back of the photograph:

Stanley Andrews
Father of Zeta
Brother of Cecil, Arthur, Duncan & Cecelia
Photo in hall

17 April 2016

Captain George Hann

Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
From Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

Wesleyville
Captain George Hann, father of Jesse etc, grandfather of Lloyd, Herb, Pat etc.

10 April 2016

Captain Don Winsor

Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
From Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

Capt. Don Winsor
M.V. Wimodo etc.

03 April 2016

Back of Museum

Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

(back of museum)
School & later Young Britons Lodge

27 March 2016

20 March 2016

Wesleyville 1917

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford's notes on the back of the photograph:

Front (l to r): Mrs. Rev. Peter Tiller (Grace), son James, Clarence Tiller, and James Tiller (1840-1924)
Back (l to r): Rev. Peter Tiller and Bank Manager

13 March 2016

Elizabeth Winsor

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Clifford has written on the back of the photograph:
Elizabeth (Winsor) Peet
1st car in Wesleyville
c. 1935

28 February 2016

Roberts & Kean

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNMG
Samuel Roberts (left) & Llewlyn Kean (right)

14 February 2016

Winsors

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNMG
Clifford's notes:
2 Winsor ladies?
They appear to be sisters
.

31 January 2016

Wesleyville Summer School

Church Summer School
Clifford Andrews Collection, BNMG
Clifford's notes on the back of this photograph:

c.1925? 1930?
Rev. S. T. Hillier

24 January 2016

A Fine Crew?

From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G Archives
Mr. Andrews notes on the reverse of this photograph:
Wilson Parsons, Jesse Hounsell, Edgar Winsor, Elmore Winsor, Chesley Templeman, Jacob Winsor (of Percy),  (E. B. Sainsbury's Schooner?)

17 January 2016

Cutting Wood

Don Andrews & Dog Team
c.1935 (or 1945?)
Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Bringing firewood or longers home from the woods... the job is still the same, but our tools are a little different today!

10 January 2016

Young Britons

Young Briton's Parade
Wesleyville, around 1940
From the Clifford Andrews Collection, BNM&G
Mr. Andrews has noted on the back of the photograph:
-Art Sturge
-Henry (or Harry?) Andrews
-Jack Mullett
-Ches Andrews
-Austin Hill

"Lodges of the Loyal Orange Young Briton Association (L.O.Y.B.A.) which currently only operate in the Provinces of Ontario, Quebec and Newfoundland were founded in 1881 as a Junior Branch of the Association, which membership is open to all Protestant young men between the ages of 12-25. It prides itself on being the initial training ground for the Orangemen of the future, and provides participation in various social, sporting and community activities."
~ http://bramptonlol5.webs.com/canadianorangefamily.htm 

03 January 2016

Winsors

Charlotte, Augustus, & Ethel Winsor
These siblings from Wesleyville were the children of Daniel Winsor & Amelia Butt.
Photo from the Clifford Andrews Collection at the BNM&G

01 January 2016

24 December 2015

05 December 2015

Summer 1943 Part 1

Several shots of Wesleyville exist in a photo album belonging to a miss Dorothy Smith.

The album is dedicated: "To Miss Dorothy Smith with best thanks and best wishes from Wesleyville Vacation School, July 1943".





All photos credited to The Rooms  Provincial Archives